Digital Sterling

Sterling, Kansas

Browse all items

Charles Haven Photographs
Looking north down Broadway. The photo was taken by Charles Haven from the top of Keystone Mills, the present site of the Central Prairie Coop service…
Charles Haven Photographs
Early Rice County historians say that in May 1872, when Landis and Hollinger erected the first building on the townsite of Sterling, there were only…
Charles Haven Photographs
Built in 1872, Green Mountain House was Sterling's first hotel. It served as the first home for hundreds of Rice County pioneers and could accommodate…
Charles Haven Photographs
[On front label] A very early locomotive in the Sterling yards. (A Taunton engine.) Notable for the spark arrestor on the smokestack -- to prevent…
Charles Haven Photographs
The "Odd Fellows Building" was built in 1878, for $9,000 by Judge Ansel Clark, attorney and legislator, who for many years had his office in the…
Charles Haven Photographs
[On label] Cement block houses, then called "patent stone," made their appearances early -- 1878. This house still stands at Seventh and Monroe.
Charles Haven Photographs
[On label]
First county courthouse, at Lyons, located at center of present square.
Charles Haven Photographs
[On label] This entire set of photographs was taken by Sterling's first photographer, Charles Haven. This studion (sic) was located on alley west of…
Charles Haven Photographs
One of the five sod shanty houses that were in a ten mile radius of Sterling before the railroad.
Charles Haven Photographs
{On Front Label}
In 1871, prior to the coming of the railroad, there were 5 families with in 10 miles of Sterling. This sod shanty was one of them.